We’re looking for a post-doc/data scientist! See a description of the position below.
Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital is at the forefront of applying artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to help improve outcomes in vulnerable and underserved populations. We are building out the hospital’s predictive analytics team, whose charter is to leverage large datasets to improve patient care for all. Our team is dedicated to the development and testing of ML algorithms that support the hospital’s performance improvement efforts, with an emphasis on health equity and algorithmic fairness. We are committed to the translation of these algorithms into clinical practice and will be embedding all our algorithms into various clinical systems including the electronic health record (EHR) for rigorous testing and monitoring.
We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher/data scientist to join our team. The primary responsibilities are:
- Develop and test new ML algorithms that analyze structured data and clinical notes from the electronic health record (EHR) system
- Research and assess the use of large language models to develop interpretable and scalable clinical decision support systems
- Be up-to-date on state-of-the-art methodologies in the relevant technical fields and application domains
- Ensure that the developed ML algorithms are reliable and fair
- Write and edit research manuscripts in collaboration with the team
Our predictive analytics team is highly collaborative and includes team members with wide-ranging expertise:
- Jean Feng: Data analytics lead, assistant professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at UCSF
- Lucas Zier: Clinical lead, cardiologist at UCSF and ZSFG
- Jim Marks: Chief of the Medical Staff and Chief of Performance Excellence at ZSFG, anesthesiologist at UCSF and ZSFG
- Seth Goldman: Informatics Director for Technology Integration and Digital Health for the Office of Health Informatics for the San Francisco Department of Public Health, hospitalist at ZSFG
We are looking to hire a postdoctoral researcher/data scientist to join the team. The position (100% funded) will be for 2-years, with the possibility of extension. Salary and benefits are competitive.
The post-doctoral researcher/data scientist position requires at least a PhD degree or equivalent in data science, (bio)statistics, computer science, or another relevant field. We are looking for someone who:
- has experience in training and testing ML algorithms for large datasets
- has experience in methodological development and can perform independent research, with a strong and relevant publication record
- has interest in analyzing Electronic Health Record (EHR) data and natural language processing (prior experience is a plus)
- has experience in developing in a Linux environment, using git-based workflows, writing Python, using high-performance computing
- is able to work collaboratively with a team
If you are interested, please submit the following materials to :
- A cover letter
- A CV summarizing your education and work experience so far
- The names and email addresses of three references
- A code sample
- One representative publication
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.